Covered California is the state's health insurance marketplace where you can apply for health plans. You may also qualify for tax credits to help pay your insurance premiums.
You can shop for health insurance online at www.coveredca.com or apply by phone at 1-800-300-1506.
- Covered California's open enrollment period for 2017 health plans is November 1, 2016, to January 31, 2017.
- Enroll by December 15, 2016, for your coverage to start January 1st.
- You may be able to qualify for a special enrollment period at any time of the year after certain life events. Qualifying events include the loss of health coverage through a job, the birth of a child, or other life-changing events.
- If you are eligible for Medi-Cal, you can sign up at any time of the year.
- Financial assistance to make health insurance more affordable is available to people who qualify. Covered California is the only place where you can use new tax credits to help pay insurance premiums.
- Covered California's online tools make it easier to compare health plans and their costs. Go to Covered California's website to preview plans...
- The health plans sold on Covered California offer a complete set of benefits, called essential health benefits.
- There are people in your community who can help you find and enroll in a health plan. They are Covered California's enrollment counselors and assisters. Request enrollment assistance...
- If you have a small business, Covered California can help you shop for health plans for your employees. If you have fewer than 25 employees, you may qualify for federal tax credits.
- If you want to dispute a Covered California decision regarding your eligibility for programs or tax credits, you can request a State Fair Hearing. Learn more about filing an appeal...
Consumer Assistance at Covered California
The following tables include consumer assistance information that Covered California reported for OPA's annual Complaint Data Report.
|Covered California Service Center|
|Main Phone Number
|Other Phone Numbers
||Arabic 1-800-826-6317 |
|Hours of Operation
||Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.|
|Covered California State Fair Hearings|
(conducted by the Department of Social Services)
|Most Common Reasons for Fair Hearings
- Denial of Covered California coverage (85%)
- Eligibility determination issues (13%)
- Cancellation (2%)
|Most Common Results from the Fair Hearing
- Complaint withdrawn (49%)
- Covered California position overturned (17%)
- Compromise settlement or resolution (14%)
- No action required (14%)
- Covered California position upheld (6%)
|Number of Days the Fair Hearing Process Usually Takes
||Between 39-50 days|
- There is a faster review process for complainants with an urgent health issue.
Covered California Fact Sheets
OPA Complaint Data Reports
List of other consumer assistance helplines
Tips on How to File a Complaint