Finding Health Care
There are several ways to find health care if you do not have insurance through your job.
Who can help you look for insurance?
These organizations and websites can help you figure out your choices and apply for programs.
- Contact Covered California, a health insurance marketplace. The customer service center or an enrollment counselor in your community can help you apply. Visit www.coveredca.com to shop for plans or call 1-800-300-1506 for free assistance.
- Contact the California Consumer Assistance Program at 1-888-466-2219 for a referral to free local assistance.
- Contact a Health Consumer Alliance center for free local assistance. To find the center nearest you, go to www.healthconsumer.org.
Changes that started in 2014
- Most Americans must have health insurance or pay a penalty.
- As of 2014, plans can no longer refuse to cover people with health problems.
- Covered California started serving as a marketplace for Californians to buy a health plan. Covered California will also help you find out if you qualify for low-cost care through Medi-Cal or for tax credits to help pay premiums.
Learn more about buying insurance on your own
Learn about individual insurance and things you can do if you lose the group plan you have through your job.
If you are about to lose your insurance
If you are losing the insurance you have through a job, you may have the right to keep your insurance for a period of time. Learn more about keeping your coverage...
Finding Health Care (PDF)
Comparing health plans