Medi-Cal is health insurance for people with low incomes.
Ways to qualify for Medi-Cal
- You must have a low income.
- Your children may qualify even if you do not.
- If you are pregnant, you may be able to qualify for emergency Medi-Cal and get services right away.
- When you apply for health coverage through Covered California, you and your family will be screened for Medi-Cal. Learn more at www.coveredca.com.
- You can also apply for Medi-Cal through your county Social Services office or find an application online at www.BenefitsCal.com.
What's new in Medi-Cal?
To learn more about the changes below, go to Medi-Cal updates.
- Medi-Cal changed its eligibility rules so that more people now qualify.
- Most Medi-Cal members will get their health care services through a managed care health plan, instead of using fee-for-service benefits.
- Children in the Healthy Families program have moved into the Medi-Cal program.
- Enrollees in the temporary Low Income Health Program have moved into Medi-Cal or Covered California plans.
- A new managed care program called Cal MediConnect will serve people who have both Medi-Cal and Medicare (dual eligibles or Medi-Medis).
Get help with your Medi-Cal health plan
If you have a problem getting the care you need, first ask your doctor to help you. If that does not work, call your health plan. Learn more about Medi-Cal complaints.
Get quality care
See Medi-Cal Managed Care plan quality ratings to help you choose the Medi-Cal plan in your area that is best for you and your family.
Department of Health Care Services