Veterans Health Care
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) operates a nationwide health care system to provide medical services to veterans. In California, there are 10 VA Medical Centers and more than 80 local community clinics and Vet Centers.
For information on resources available to veterans in California, visit the CalVet website or view CalVet's 2016 California Veterans Resource Book (PDF).
If you need help with your veterans benefits, contact your County Veterans Service Office. You can also call 1-844-SERV-VET to be connected to your local CVSO.
If you have served in the U.S. armed forces, you may be eligible for VA health benefits. Visit www.va.gov/healthbenefits for information about what benefits may be available to you and how to apply.
If you have questions or would like additional help, you can contact:
- Your County Veterans Service Office. Call 1-844-SERV-VET to be connected to your local CVSO. Find a local CVSO office...
- VA Veterans Health Administration at 1-877-222-8387
- Your local VA medical facility enrollment office
Learn more: Veterans Health Benefits Overview
If you have question or a problem with your benefits
- Contact your County Veterans Service Office for guidance and assistance.
- If you are receiving VA medical care and have a problem with your care, the Patient Advocate at your VA medical facility may be able to help.
- Know that most VA decisions can be appealed.
- Appeals have time limits and can be complicated. Consider getting help with your appeal from a County Veterans Service Office or a representative from an accredited veteran's service organization.
County Veterans Service Offices- Find an office in your County
1-844-SERV-VET (to be connected to your local CVSO)
Offer assistance with veteran benefits and help filing benefits claims.
VA Veterans Health Administration - www.va.gov/health
Answers questions about VA health benefits and services. Provides enrollment help and guidance on VA health care bills.
List of VA Medical Centers, Clinics, and Vet Centers in California
Administer medical benefits and provide medical services. Medical Centers have enrollment offices and patient advocates.
VA Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) - www.benefits.va.gov
VA Regional Offices - List of offices in California
Administer and provide information on VA benefits (including disability).
Veterans Crisis Line
1-800-273-8255 and Press 1
Online chat through www.VeteransCrisisLine.net
Text message 838255
Connects veterans and their family to trained VA responders who provide free, immediate, and confidential support for veterans in crisis.
California Department of Veterans Affairs - Veterans Services Division
Provides assistance with benefits offered to California veterans and help with claims representation.
VA Civilian Health and Medical Program (CHAMPVA)
Administers health benefits for certain eligible spouses and children of veterans.
VA Inquiry & Information System (IRIS) - iris.custhelp.com
Answers questions on VA benefits. Searchable database of answers to FAQs.
VA Health Benefits Reference Library - www.va.gov/healthbenefits/resources/publications.asp
Provides online publications on veterans health benefits.
VA Veterans Health Library - www.veteranshealthlibrary.org
Offers information on veteran-focused health topics.