Consumer Assistance at Covered California
Covered California is the state’s health insurance marketplace where you can apply for health plans. You also may qualify for tax credits to help pay your insurance premiums.
- Open enrollment has ended for 2022 coverage.
- If you have recently experienced a major life change, you still may be able to sign up. Qualifying events include the loss of health coverage through a job, the birth of a child, and other life-changing events. Learn more
- If you are eligible for Medi-Cal, you can sign up at any time of the year.
- Usually if the open enrollment period is closed and you have not experienced a qualifying event, the next time you can sign up for a Covered California plan would be during the next open enrollment period.
Covered California Service Center
Main Phone Number: 1-800-300-1506
Other Phone Numbers:
العربية (Arabic) 1-800-826-6317
Հայերեն (Armenian) 1-800-996-1009
中文 (Chinese) 1-800-300-1533
فارسی (Farsi) 1-800-921-8879
Tagalog (Filipino) 1-800-983-8816
Hmoob (Hmong) 1-800-771-2156
한국어 (Korean) 1-800-738-9116
ру́сский (Russian) 1-800-778-7695
Español (Spanish) 1-800-300-0213
Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese) 1-800-652-9528
Hours of operation: Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. (except state holidays)
Extended hours during peak enrollment season (open until 8:00 p.m. Monday-Friday and 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Saturday)
Complaint Data Highlights
The highlights below are based on information Covered California reported to OPA about its consumer assistance service center and about its 2020 State Fair Hearings. State Fair Hearings conducted by the California Department of Social Services (CDSS) are an avenue for Covered California members and applicants to appeal decisions about eligibility and enrollment. More details can be found in the Covered California section of the full Annual Complaint Data Report.
Consumer assistance volume in 2020: 6,424,432 phone calls and other contacts
Complaint volume in 2020: 11,079 (including 2,095 formal State Fair Hearings conducted by CDSS and 8,984 hearing requests resolved informally by Covered California)
Complaint review time in 2020:
36 days on average overall, 70 days on average for a formal State Fair Hearing
Complaint review times ranged from 0-333 days.
- Most State Fair Hearings must be conducted no later than 90 days from the date the hearing request was filed.
- CDSS refers some hearing requests to Covered California for resolution instead of conducting a formal hearing with an Administrative Law Judge. These complaints usually have a faster resolution process than the formal hearing process.
- There is a faster hearing process for certain appeals involving consumers with urgent clinical issues.
Reasons for complaints:
- Denial of Coverage (53% of complaints)
- Eligibility Determination (39%)
- Cancellation (8%)
Top results of the complaint review:
- Complaint Withdrawn (81% of complaints)
- Compromise Settlement/Resolution (7%)
- No Action Requested/Required (6%)
- Covered California Position Substantiated (4%)
- Covered California Position Overturned (2%)
Note – The Complaint Withdrawn result includes complaints where the problem was resolved before a hearing took place.